Friday, November 7, 2008

We are One

Part One:

Ida B. Wells-Barnett states in the first sentence of "Lynch Law in America:" "OUR country's national crime is lynching." I felt as if this one sentence, which sets the tone for the entire article written by Wells-Barnett, easily fits in with Enoch's article "Becoming Symbol-Wise: Kennth Burke's Pedagogy of Critical Reflection." I really feel as if this fits into this category due to the fact that during the time this article was written, hate crimes and discrimination against blacks were on high, even forty years after the civil war. How she states "our" makes it known they are one country and this is everyone who lives in it's problem. As according to how Enoch describes symblolism, Wells-Barnett is symbolizing her entire work with the first word, she is symbolizing this is on the national scale and this is everyone's issue, not just the people who live in Jonesville.
The next point that I thought fit into symbolism here is Wells-Barnett's use of "unwritten law" in scare quotes. I feel she did this for the very purpose of scaring people. The symbolism from this writting technique I feel made people feel as if this is something serious that is happening, which it there was, people were being killed from petty things based on race. But what she is doing by this is showing that if this is happening now with no repercussions, then what is going to happen and be allowed next.

Part 2:

The one thing I always have a huge issue with is coming up and finding topics for projects, this one is no exception. Though I am not an education major, both of my parents and my sister are educators, so this is something I have taken to heart and have heard issues dealing with throughout my entire life. A project that I did for a class last spring semester dealt with school buildings and conditions, why are some schools comparable to resorts while the school down the road is being held up on cinder blocks. I am now feeling as if I am wanting to look into schools and what kind of funding they recieve and why they recieve what they do. Why are schools funded based on the wealth of the surrounding community. If these children are the future, why are they being held back due to the fact they live in a poor community. The best genre that I feel would be effective for this type of discourse would be a study based on the conditions these children are put in front of compared to a study basing on a school funded to have everything. I really feel the audience I would persue are leaders who over-see the education system or those who really see education as a very important asset to our future generations. Any suggestions? I'm putting this out there.

No comments: