Friday, November 7, 2008

Rhetoric and Adolescent Pregnancy

Part 1
In Winterowd's "The Rhetoric of Beneficence, Authority, Ethical Commitment, and the Negative" he explains to the reader that there are many different objects that appear in discourse or forms of writing that make sentences much more than simply words that have been uttered or written. His main point is that sentences do not and cannot stand alone and carry any real meaning. He explains that word placement and context are crucial to understanding what a sentence it doing and what meaning it carries. Without knowing the intention and without knowing the meanings that certain performative verbs carry, the reader would not properly be able to determine what the writer or speaker was trying to convey.

Part 2
I was thinking that for my historical-causal analysis I would examine teen and young unmarried adult pregnancy. This is a really big issue in our society today and I think that there are many causes and many solutions, but a lot of people are oblivious to these so this is continuing to be a problem. I would gear this project towards adolescents as well as parents. I think this issue is something that everyone needs to be educated about and everyone needs to try to solve. The main points I will most likely examine will be methods of prevention, not just birth control methods, but education methods for young people and for parents. I would also probably examine the problems with abortion and how it condones teen pregnancy, while still supporting that abortion is better being legal. It's a complicated issue. Lastly I would pose some new solutions for how this issue can be argued. I am not exactly sure that this is the issue I will choose, I have a few others that I was thinking about, but so far this is my top choice. 

2 comments:

Maggie said...

You need to be very, very careful at how you introduce abortion into your project, specifically because it is such a large and controversial topic that could probably be its own project, and also because abortion would not result in your project issue of teen pregnancy. So, if you incorporate abortion, I think you need to make your issue more specific, as in different options for pregnant teens or something. I think I would like to know more about your specific real form. I think this is really interesting idea for a project, and I'm sure you will find plenty of information on the topic!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Maggie, do be very careful with the topic of abortion due to it being a very controversial topic. If you do go with this topic you may want to look and do research to what is happening in other countries and why this is legal here. Another thing you may want to look into is how the media portrays adolescent sex, in movies such as "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" to "Cruel Intentions." The question I would impose is why are teens forced to feel as if they have to grow up so fast.