Friday, November 7, 2008

Musgrove's Form and Word Use

Laurence Musgrove displays an excellent use of form in his article, “The Real Reasons Students Cant Write.” He uses a very particular sentence structure that allows his piece to appear very conversational to a reader. He begins the majority of his sentences with a reference to himself, or one of his ideas and concludes the sentence with a general statement about the issue. Setting his work up like this allows the reader to feel a connection with him, as an educational authority, then be smoothly transitioned into agreement with his conclusions. It is an effective method of arguing to his particular audience of primarily educators and the educated. Musgrove also uses several terms such as “frustrated”, “significant”, and “substantially” to suggest that there is a good ways to go before the issue can be solved. He identifies these words with the progress that students and teachers together need to make before students will be able to display an acceptable level of writing.
To be honest I am not quite sure where I will go with the historical causal analysis. I would like to work on something along the lines of the faults in the medical industry, and the lack of compassion among many medical professionals. My mother just had four failed surgeries by multiple doctors, is provided insufficient health insurance by her employer, and now has to pay in full for all four surgeries, even though none of them have worked so far. I would like to be able to interview her, along with the multiple doctors who have preformed the surgeries. I would like to move beyond the issue of health care, and push it more towards doctor’s compassion for their patients. This idea may or may not be along the lines of what we are aiming to accomplish with these papers, please provide me feedback if you have any ideas of where I could go with this. (If I can go anywhere at all) For my real form I would like to do possibly an open letter to medical professionals reminding them of above all their need to take care of their patients, and not to take care of their wallets. Help me generate ideas PLEASE!!

4 comments:

nate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nate said...

I think you could look into how the medical profession has become a business over the last 100 years or so (maybe less) for the research form, and then discuss how that has affected doctors attitudes and patient care for the real form. As far as what rhetorical principle will be important to you I think audience construction. Audience construction because you will not want to alienate doctors who may consider themselves to be caring.

Emily said...

I think that doing something on the medical industry would be a great topic! It would definitely have a great deal of articles that you could use as support, but I think that the lack of compassion among many medical professionals may be hard to prove. I don't think that it's that medical professionals don't care about their patients, because I'm sure they're not out to hurt people; but it may be that they weren't provided with the right education. Of course, I'm not an expert at all at this project we're doing. I'm not even sure if I understand it correctly! Maybe you could focus on how these types of incidents affect the doctor patient trust relationship. Why do we trust doctors if this keeps happening to us and to those we love? I think that keeping your own biases to yourself will be key in your analysis because this is obviously an issue that is very near and dear to your heart. I also agree that you do not want to alienate all medical professionals. You would want to appeal to both sides, so maybe you can state why each side is the way that they are. Good luck!

KelsieMcGrew said...

This is a great idea. I think you should examine a real doctor and see what they think about all the things you are posing as issues and get the ideas from their perspective. I think almost everything in life is based simply on perspective. You see how upset your mom is, the doctor may see how he keeps doing his job and not getting paid. I know it's hard to view from the point of view from the "enemy" but it's good to see both sides. I think that would help your argument if you could discuss how to solve this push-pull of powers between the two parties.