Friday, November 7, 2008

Forming 'A More Perfect Union'

In W. Ross Winterowd’s article, “Dispositio: The Concept of Form in Discourse”, we learn that form goes beyond sentence structure, grammar and paragraphing. “There are other ‘semantic’ elements that contribute to the sense of form verses formlessness…” In Barack Obama’s speech, “A More Perfect Union,” Obama is able to use form to generate an appropriate and well constructed argument. In this speech Obama is addressing the accusations against his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and he is able to defend his position with his former pastor, using mostly repetition-an expressed transition that creates form. “I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.” Obama repeats disown 3 times to transition from the focus on Rev. Wright, to that of his grandmother. He then uses repetition by repeating woman to put emphasis on his grandmother being white, and raising him as a child. He is able to make a connection between people in his life, and what they have done for him, and his multicultural background. Throughout the speech, Obama is able to use implied transitions with the pauses in his voice that are marked with hyphens in the text. “This was one of the tasks we set forth at the beginning of this campaign - to continue the long march of those who came before us, a march for a more just, more equal, more free, more caring and more prosperous America”. Here Obama is able to use the implied and expressed transitions with the pauses in sentences and the repetition of more. He also has an example of the question transition, which is also expressed. “The question transformation is classed as an expressed transition because questions can be recognized on the basis of their form. And, simply, a question normally calls for an answer.” “Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely - just as I'm sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.” Obama uses these questions to create honest answers that America is looking for. Because of his use of form and transitions in his speech, he is able to argue his case, proving that he is a good candidate for President regardless of the actions that happen with the people around him, and now we are able to see that America agreed.

I have been wondering a lot lately about the effects of Black students attending HBCU’s (Historically Black Colleges and Universities). I wanted to stay away from comparing the benefits of an HBCU verses a predominately white university, and what the cons could be. Instead I want to focus on how HBCU’s prepare black students for the real world, what is done differently, and if student’s that attend these schools feel as if they have been placed in an unrealistic society(because when they are on these campuses they are the majority). To be honest I have not thought a lot about what type of real forms I could create. Most of my decisions will be based on the results of my research. I could possibly make a pamphlet that educates future black collegiate students on what an HBCU really is. I also thought about making ads that could be published in magazines promoting the awareness of these institutions, their benefits and goals. I do not want my real forms to function as ways to convince students to attend HBCU because that is not my goal. I rather have students really understand their purpose, how it is different from attending another university, to make sure that it is right for them. Many of my friends have attended HBCU’s, but have transferred back to an Indiana state school. I am interested in seeing why this happens, and what made them make their original choice of an HBCU in the beginning.

2 comments:

bhesen said...

I think that your idea to research HBCU's is an excellent topic. I like your idea on making an ad that could be in a magazine about the colleges/universities. That is creative and I think it would work well with the recruitment aspect of your topic.

Brett said...

I think your approach is really good in the sense that you are not trying to show the pro's and con's of black schools compared to white schools but are instead trying to highlight what makes black schools right for certain individuals. I think it could relate to the conflict levels because it deals with differing values.