Thursday, September 25, 2008

Questions about Bees..

Fahnestock and Secor's article says, "the stases describe a series of three or sometimes four points at which certain types of questions arise about a subject.." It goes on to explain what kind of questions and give examples such as how obviously asking what something is gives the definition. Adding more questions F & S says gives the writer a way to answer a thesis. The article I read was called, "Show Me the Honey". It is about bees and a problem called Colony Collapse Disorder. In its first paragraph the writer describes a little bit about what bees do (pollinate) and how people are being made aware of this problem. F & S say, "This is what it means to be sensitive to language in argument: to be aware of facts that are assumed significant, to notice definitions that might be implicit in word choice and metaphor." So one of the stases or questions that provide definition might have been, "What are the bees problem?" However like F & S tell us we have to be aware because definitions can be shaky sometimes. Just like this one is about the CCD of bees. We don't really have an understanding of what causes it because many things might cause it, yet the writer goes on to blame it on pesticides.
It is not just definition that F & S talk about but facts as well. This article pushes facts on us as writers about pesticides and organic farming. It is directed at us as an audience to make us react to ask questions like if that this is true what must I do? What is the next step? The writer tells us to eliminate all pesticides, and to find other ways to deal with problems.
Value is what I think the other authors we have read have called pathos. It appeals most to our emotions, and is evident in the bee article when the author uses language such as homes instead of hives to appeal to us, and make us feel for the homeless, confused, little bees.
I think what struck me as an important quote was, "We address an issue in one stasis, we may do so because of the preferred practices of our discipline. That does not mean, however, that the other stases are absent or irrelevant to the reactions of our readers or audiences" F & S are saying that we can use all of the stases at once to construct an argument for the audience. And that it won't be lost on them.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I felt no emotional response to this article. It could be because I am not that concerned with bugs and animals, but I feel that Hengen lacked in pulling the reader in with an appeal to pathos. He/she did not spend enough time in my opinion, telling the reader why it was so important for us to care about these bees and why they are not behaving correctly. If there had been some type of reference to how the behavior of the bees could affect my everyday life, I think there possibly could have been a more positive, "I'm all on board" response from the reader, or me.

mickey said...

I'm not sure if there was a need for an emotional appeal in this article, but I really like how you were able to find examples of where Hagen was able to humanize to bees. I thought value was a question of what is right and what is wrong; I never thought that it was because of the emotional appeal to why a reader would value something more.