Thursday, October 16, 2008

3 Questions

Question 1
My sister and I thought it would be a good idea to share an apartment this semester, and at the time this idea came up, I really thought this was a good idea. This was until I realized that I had no say in anything. I have found that it really is easier to just not argue than to fight a losing battle. I enjoy things like my friends and my comfort, and she would rather have the cleanest and neatest room in the entire world. So basically in this social experiment of life, I have found it best to just agree to disagree. I would rather have her not fighting with me over little detail, then to choose my battles and still lose.
Question 2
Mario Savio believes whole heartedly that the students at UC Berkley are facing the same denial of civil rights, as people of color faced in Mississippi. Although he compares issues of race to those of free speech, Savio still believes that no injustice should go unnoticed. The idea that the university being “in the world but not of the world” demonstrates that civil injustice is present, but is not the way of the rest of the world. This speech is directly intended for the ears of the administration, the deniers of the student’s civil liberties.
Question 3
Barak Obama uses his history to establish the credibility of who he is, and what makes him a fair representative of every American. Obama had to defend himself when people in the media questioned his character. Obama uses his family’s history and his story of his upbringing to present a case of what makes him who he is. Obama speaks a very positive message, opposed to Savio’s rant on the problems with the bureaucracy. Savio’s message may have been better received if he was able to draw out the good things of why civil rights are important, rather than compare the university to a dystopia, in a world not of this world.

No comments: